Mass Effect 2 – Can’t Bind The Delete Key?

How to bind the delete key, dont give up it is possible!

The first annoying bug I have found in Mass Effect 2 is not being able to bind the Delete key, as pressing it deletes any key binding. Despite its popularity, not everyone uses the traditional W A S D key layout, some of us use the strangest set of keys for movement. Before you shout ‘what NEWB uses up, down, delete, page down for basic movement’, in my defence I have been using the keys for over 13 years, and thus I challenge you to a round of quake to prove that I am not a newb. Moving on, the solution to binding the Delete key in Mass Effect 2. Please read all the way through and follow this guide exactly otherwise Mass Effect 2 will not load up.

First download notepad++, standard windows Notepad is not only a complete mess but does not seem to save the file correctly resulting in ME2 not loading up. Locate the following file, Coalesced.ini which can be found in (your Steam folder)/steamapps/common/mass effect 2/BioGame/Config/PC/Cooked/ if you purchased it via Steam, or if you have a retail copy then (where you installed it)/BioGame/Config/PC/Cooked/. At this point I suggest making a backup copy of the file, one change to this file can stop Mass Effect 2 from loading.

Once you have a copy, open the original Coalesced.ini using Notepad++. Search for the text [SFXGame.SFXGameModeDefault_INT] and the first line below it should be LocalizedBindings=( Name=”A”, Command=”PC_StrafeLeft” ), change the “A” to “Delete”. This is not the end, you must now make sure the number of characters in this file matches when you first loaded it up, so as we have added 5 extra characters binding the delete key (“A” minus “Delete” = 5 extra characters “elete“). Somewhere we need to remove 5 characters so the total character count adds up. I kept it simple by finding a bind with 5 characters, search for the following text, Bindings=( Name=”Seven”, Command=”PC_HotKey7″ ) and simply delete the 5 chars by deleting the entire word “Seven”. This will unbind the key 7 but you can sort that out when you get back into Mass Effect 2.

Next step is to load up Mass Effect 2, go to Extras, Options, Key Bindings. Click “Restore Defaults” at the bottom of the screen, as the change we made above is now hard coded into the default key layout. You will find Strafe Left is now bound to Delete, so now just go through and bind your surrounding keys, and don’t forget to rebind that 7 key we deleted earlier!

This has wasted hours of my playing time, so I am eager to get back in. Frustrated with my lack of natural control without my key layout I felt someone else out there may benefit from this! Let me know if this helps, this guide can be used to bind the BackSpace or Delete key, to any possible command as long as you follow the basic rules outlined above and maintain that char count and use a decent editor like Notepad++. Have fun, Mass Effect 2 is proving to be just as good as every review out there is saying. Shepherd out.

, , , , ,

1. #1 by Jiro on January 31, 2010 - 3:09 pm

I would argue that YOU’RE THE BUG! and that YOU’RE THE NEWB, I’ll challenge (and beat you) at quake any day!!! lol!?!?! 🙂

2. #2 by eliminator on February 13, 2010 - 5:21 pm

awesome I use the same key too for strafing!

3. #3 by Lc on February 14, 2010 - 5:31 pm

So I’m not the only one!

4. #4 by bill on May 23, 2010 - 2:48 pm

I use up down left right, delete is reload. I tried WASD and without looking at the board it’s hard to know what key your feeling (ie. W has 8 other keys around it that are the same size, oh so does S, oh actually so does D and any letter to the right that may be used for things other than movement) Hey Jiro, ever thought about the concept of Braille?

5. #5 by Joey on July 21, 2010 - 8:19 am

I do the exact same thing bill. Been playing games since I could use a computer (my first real game was Doom) and I’ve been using the arrow keys ever since. It’s awkward having the W key up and right of the other keys instead of directly above. And I agree that having so many similar buttons around them really hinders the experience by constantly pressing wrong buttons. Don’t call us newbs; we’re just gamers that were around long before wasd!!!

6. #6 by T0meck on August 21, 2010 - 3:08 am

I also don’t use WSAD keys because i’m left-handed and therefore it’s not comfortable for me to either cross my arms or to play on this right-handed layout. That’s why i use either numpad or arrows and the keys around them.

I have also one question. How to unbind key in ME1 ? I have some keys I’d like to delete key binding for but pressing delete on them causes the delete key to be binded instead.

And one more thing. Don’t complain and call me newb for my difference. Afterall left-handed people are great artists for ex. Leonardo da Vinci. And here’s a small list http://arthistory.about.com/library/artists/lists/blsouthpaws.htm

7. #7 by Lc on August 21, 2010 - 9:25 am

Have you tried pressing escape or backspace to unbind in ME1? Just a guess. Or bind the key to a random letter/numpad key that you don’t use?

Nothing wrong with left handed, but must suck finding a mouse? ;o)

8. #8 by clane on December 15, 2010 - 7:48 pm

Hi,

thank you very mutch for that trick on binding delete in ME2.

I use the same control layout on the keyboard, its better than the typical WSAD config.

greetings from germany and thank you again for posting this

9. #9 by Jason H on July 1, 2011 - 2:37 am

Thank you! I thought I was the only one that used that key config! I appreciate the tutorial – GREAT JOB (and yes, I have been playing games like this for 15 years and was an adept Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, and Counter-Strike player!)

10. #10 by Lc on July 7, 2011 - 8:38 pm

Glad to help, and I think our key preference is FTW!! ;o)

You must be logged in to post a comment.